Effective September 20, 2017, fees for building permits have changed per Ordinance No. 31585-17 passed by the Dayton City Commission on August 30, 2017. Fees for plan reviews did not change. Fees for permits for buildings, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing have increased. Permit applications for Building/Zoning, Mechanical, and Tent permits are now updated to reflect these changes. Access permit applications by selecting "Building Permit Forms" just to the left of this note. To find out what fee amounts may apply to your project, please call 937-333-3986 or 937-333-6794.
Effective November 1, 2017 the 2017 Ohio Building Code, the 2017 Ohio Plumbing Code, and the 2017 Ohio Mechanical Code will be used for all projects with the initial application for permit after that date. See "Building Codes" to the left of this paragraph for more information.
The Division of Building Inspection of the City's Office of Economic Development is primarily responsible for assuring compliance with commercial and residential building construction codes. In fulfilling this responsibility, the Division:
- Examines construction drawings of commercial and residential structures for compliance with the appropriate code;
- Issues permits (a license to construct) when code compliance has been confirmed;
- Issues electrical, plumbing and HVAC permits when code compliance has been confirmed;
- Issues sewer, water and gas permits;
- Inspects construction, alterations and repairs to commercial and residential structures to verify work is in accordance with the approved construction drawings;
- Manages the registration program for plumbing, mechanical and electric contractors;
- Issues permits for temporary structures such as construction trailers, tents and portable shelters; and
- Administers the Flood Plain Management Plan as required by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).