What is required to get electric service connected?

Before Dayton Power & Light (DP&L) connects electricity to a building, the Building Inspection Division must issue a permit and conduct an inspection. A licensed electrician registered with the City of Dayton must apply for the permit. The homeowner can apply for the permit, but only if the owner lives in the house, the structure is a single-family residence, and the owner does the work and has the knowledge and ability to make repairs or replacement of electrical service. Permit applications are available online on the City's website or at the Building Inspection Division Office. To contact DP&L about connection service, call Construction Department Customer Service at (937) 331-4860. A listing of electricians registered with the City of Dayton is found at

Registered Contractors Lists.

Show All Answers

1. What is a building permit?
2. When do I need a building permit?
3. How can I find out the permit fees for my project?
4. Why do I need a building permit?
5. If my building or house has had a fire or has been damaged by a vehicle or a storm, what do I need to do?
6. When don’t I need a building permit?
7. When do I not need a plumbing, electrical or mechanical permit?
8. How do I apply for a permit?
9. What building codes does the City of Dayton enforce?
10. Where is the Division of Building Inspection located?
11. When do I need to submit plans?
12. Can I apply for a permit online?
13. How long does it take to get a permit?
14. How many copies of plans are required for permit review?
15. How many copies of revised plans are needed?
16. How do I arrange for an inspection?
17. What should I know about inspections during construction?
18. How do I know if a property is within the Dayton city limits?
19. How do I know if a building is in a historic district with special requirements?
20. What is required to get electric service connected?
21. What are the hours of operation for the Building Inspection Permit Counter?
22. What is required to get natural gas service connected?
23. What services are provided at the One Stop Center (371 W. 2nd St.)?