- City Manager's Office
- Internship Program
The City of Dayton's intern program was created to provide opportunities for college students to gain first-hand knowledge and understanding of governmental processes through pre-professional work experiences in various occupational fields.
As part of the regional 20 by 20 Initiative, the City of Dayton posts and hires all internship positions through the Southwest Ohio Council for Higher Education. Positions are posted in March with the goal of interviewing and hiring students by the end of the school year so that work experience can begin in the summer.
- Winter - recruitment effort
- Feb/March - job postings on SOCHE site
- March/April - department interviews
- May - selections and confirmed acceptance of a position by the time the student leaves for summer break
- September - intern orientation at the beginning of the semester/interns start at the beginning of semester
Students are hired for one-year positions which can begin in late May, or early September, whichever is mutually agreed on. The position is 28 weeks with an optional 12 week summer session. Interns are expected to work 15-20 hours per week during the school year and up to 40 hours during the summer unless otherwise specified.
Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply, but must be enrolled in their program full-time.
All City of Dayton interns are compensated at a rate of $12.50 per hour regardless of year or major. For-credit internships are not offered at this time.
How to Apply
All students are hired through the Southwest Ohio Council for Higher Education's (SOCHE) SOCHEIntern program. Students should visit Soche intern program website, to create a student profile. Once a profile has been created, students can select the internships to which they would like to apply.
- Complete postings can be found at Soche intern program website.
- Questions can be directed to our Internship program email.