The Dayton Fire Department is reminding residents to heat their homes safely this winter season. Space heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces are the second leading cause of home fires in America. As such, please remember to practice these tips to prevent house fires:
- Space Heater - Keep flammable materials at least three feet away, and turn heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.
- Fireplace - Don't burn paper in your fireplace. Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least three feet from your home.
- Wood Stove - Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
- Furnace - Have your furnace inspected annually and keep away flammable materials.
- Kerosene Heater - Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off feature if it tips over. Refuel your cooled heater outside.
To get more winter fire prevention information and materials you can share with friends and neighbors online, visit the U.S. Fire Administration's website: